Intermediate Veterinary Dentistry And Beyond
This intermediate 2-day lab and lecture course builds on fundamental knowledge and skills obtained in the fundamental course or similar obtained knowledge. The clinical image and intraoral radiographed base presentations will present step-by-step oronasal fistula repair, advanced extraction techniques for the challenging dentition, and periodontal surgery to save teeth as an alternative to extraction or neglect. Subtle hints of common oral and dental pathology will be presented. Diagnosing and treating oral tumors will be discussed. Basic restoratives and sealants will be presented. It is highly recommended that registrants have comfort in basic extraction techniques, dental nomenclature, and understanding of common oral and dental pathology in order to maximize learning in the laboratory section of the course.
1. Participants will learn single buccal mucoperiosteal flap and alternative oronasal fistula repairs.
2. Participants will learn techniques for extraction of the maxillary molars and closure of the mucoperiosteal flap.
3. Participants will learn skills to improve extraction of the maxillary 4th premolar, mandibular 1st molar, and mandibular canine teeth.
4. Participants will the indications and techniques for periodontal osseous resective surgery and osseous additive surgery to treat infrabony periodontal pockets.
5. Participants will learn to recognize, diagnose, and differentiate oral masses along with the treatment options available.
6. Participants will learn to recognize a parulis, hidden periodontal pockets, and other subtle hints of insidious dental disease.
7. Participants will learn beginning restoration and dental sealant dentistry.
Course Curriculum (Lecture/Lab Limited to 16 Participants) - 16 Hours CE
Lecture Day 1:
I. Step-By- Step Oronasal Fistula Repair Made Simple
II. Advanced Extraction Techniques Step-By- Step (Maxillary Molars, Mandibular Canine, Maxillary 4th Premolar) And Management Of Complications
Lab Day 1:
I. Canine Site Oronasal Fistula Repair
II. Surgical Extraction And Closure Of The Maxillary Molars
III. Surgical Extraction Of The Mandibular Canine Tooth
Lecture Day 2:
IV: Periodontal Disease Treatment - Osseous Resective And Additive Surgery Indications And Guided Tissue Regeneration
V: Understanding Oral Tumors And Their Treatment Options In Practice
VI. Subtle Hints Of Common Dental Disease That May Be Missed
VII. Understanding dental sealants and restorations
Lab Day 2:
IV. Open Root Planing And Guided Tissue Regeneration Of The Maxillary Canine Tooth
V. Surgical Techniques For Successful Extraction Of The Maxillary 4 th Premolar
VI. Open Root Planing, Bone Augmentation, And Guided Tissue Regeneration For The Mandibular 1 st Molar
VII. Restoration materials and application
Course Date and Location:
July 29 and 30, 2017
Kevin S. Stepaniuk, DVM, FAVD
Diplomate, American Veterinary Dental College
RACE APPROVED CE CREDITS - 16
July 29 and 30, 2017
Lunch and Refreshments Provided